What is a healing community?
What is a Healing Community?
What is a healing community? The idea is a simple one: to create a safe, purposeful environment where activity is thoughtfully planned to support an individual’s mental health recovery and healing. Healing communities empower residents to take ownership of their recovery with the goal of achieving a healthy and lasting re-integration into society and again living a purposeful life. Healing Communities have existed in the United States and Europe for centuries
Six Key Principles of a Healing Community
Within our therapeutic community, each staff member pledges to behave in a manner that fosters and values:
• A culture of emotional and physical safety taking you from mental illness to mental wellness
• A personal life of recovery, hope and purpose
• An atmosphere of kindness, respect, and open and authentic communication
• Each person’s ideas, input, service and contribution to the work and social life of the community
• Interactions that create a feeling of being at-home and at-ease in the special environment of CooperRiis
• Quality relationships based on genuine empathy and mutual respect