Autism/Neurodiversity at The Farm
A Supportive Healing Community
CooperRiis Healing Community’s Farm offers enhanced programming and services for people with mental health challenges and autism/neurodiversity (High Functioning Autism and/or for people formerly diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome).
This program folds into the mission of CooperRiis and its core person-centered and strength based treatment within a Healing Community model. CooperRiis’ integrative recovery approach, wellness practices, intensive clinical services, and building of independent living skills serve as a necessary and beneficial foundation of recovery for this area of specialization.
Our Approach to Autism/Neurodiversity
Skill Development & Program Goals
CooperRiis Healing Community’s programming and additional services offered for residents with neurodiversity/autism will work towards specific goals:
- Social skill building with opportunities to learn/practice social engagement skills such as: making and keeping friends.
- Skill development to manage the sensory
- Emphasis on community involvement and development of life skills needed for successful integration into community setting.
- Developing flexibility to switch between various demands and tasks to respond to changes in the environment.
- Self-advocacy and self-determination skills.
- Pre-employment skills through the Community
Work & Service Program (CWS) such as: following direction, productivity, interpersonal
interactions, initiation, task completion, offering feedback, etc.
- Discharge planning that focuses on independent living with connection to a supportive community.
What We Offer
- Experiential Therapy 25 hours/week
- Therapeutic Work Model
- Occupational Therapy
- Medication Management
- Physical Wellness & Nutrition
- Life & Social Skills Workshops
- Aftercare Planning & Support