by Alison Hamrick, Autism Program Coordinator
Merriam-Webster defines enhancement as an increase or improvement in quality, value, desirability, or attractiveness. Since 2003, CooperRiis has been successfully supporting individuals on their journey to mental wellness. Beginning this September, we will offer a new program enhancement to our continuum of care in order to better serve individuals with Autism. While these improvements will allow us to better serve the neurodiverse community, they will also strengthen our program for all participants.
Examples of enhancements
Features such as micro scheduling, visual supports, concrete language usage, and the integration of sensory diets, to name just a few, will all serve to support residents’ involvement and recovery on our 94-acre farm campus.
- Micro scheduling is the process of scheduling out tiny increments, often 10 to 15-minute chunks, of your day.
- Visual supports work to provide structure and routine, encourage independence, improve understanding, and alleviate frustration and anxiety.
- A sensory diet can help with sensory processing by giving an individual an alternative activity when they need it. It is a way to increase their sensory understanding, increase body awareness, and help them with organizing input.
- It’s also a way to help individuals with sensory processing issues bring order to their overstimulated or understimulated sensory systems. This will in turn help them regulate their responses.
- A sensory diet may include listening to calming music, walking, bouncing on a therapy ball, or spinning in a chair.
Many people with Autism struggle with executive functioning. Our enhanced programming includes supporting new and current residents with their ability to plan, organize and manage complex tasks. We will work to support individuals in developing and applying problem-solving skills as circumstances call for them. The current approach to recovery and treatment on the farm is a perfect place to put these skills into practice.
If you or a loved one would benefit from this enhanced recovery model, reach out to our admissions team today.