What is a healing community?
Healing Communities have existed in the United States and Europe for centuries. The idea is a simple one: to create a safe, purposeful environment where activity is thoughtfully planned to support an individual’s recovery and healing. Healing communities empower residents to take ownership of their recovery with the goal of achieving a healthy and lasting re-integration into society.
Six Key Principles of a Healing Community
Within our therapeutic community, each staff member pledges to behave in a manner that fosters and values:
• A culture of emotional and physical safety taking you from mental illness to mental wellness
• A personal life of recovery, hope and purpose
• An atmosphere of kindness, respect, and open and authentic communication
• Each person’s ideas, input, service and contribution to the work and social life of the community
• Interactions that create a feeling of being at-home and at-ease in the special environment of CooperRiis
• Quality relationships based on genuine empathy and mutual respect